Kaitiaki Raraunga – Data Steward
Working at Ngā Taonga
Ngā Taonga is the audiovisual archive for Aotearoa New Zealand. Set up as a Charitable Trust and committed to Te Tiriti o Waitangi, we collect, preserve, care for and share taonga that brings our nation’s history and heritage to life. Our unique collections spans 120 years and encompasses films, radio, television, sound recordings and documents.
The 70+ staff who work for us are passionate about caring for this precious taonga and their role ensuring that it’s always in safe hands. That mahi ensures all New Zealanders, including future generations, will be able to know their stories and connect with their cultural identity.
This is an incredibly exciting time to join Ngā Taonga as we’re currently undertaking some significant multi-agency projects. The Kaitiaki Raraunga – Data Steward is an integral part of this journey.
The Kaitiaki Raraunga – Data Steward is an exciting new position at Ngā Taonga. We recognise strong data management as crucial to caring for our precious taonga, especially as our collections and practices become increasingly digital. Our new Data Strategy provides a unique vision and roadmap for data management that is grounded in our commitment to Te Tiriti o Waitangi and preserving taonga for future generations. The Kaitiaki Raraunga – Data Steward will lead the implementation of this strategy, providing advice and support across diverse projects and workflows. The role sits within our Collection Growth archivist team yet will involve collaboration with teams across the archive (including leadership, ICT, customer supply, and preservation).
Data stewardship is a burgeoning field and this dynamic role provides you the opportunity to develop your career and contribute to a meaningful kaupapa.
- Lead the implementation of the Data Strategy across the Archive.
- Have strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Show a strong respect for Māori tikanga and the use of te reo Māori.
- Have experience developing and documenting rules, standards and governance ownership for data, running regular audit checks of data quality, and monitoring data movement workflows.
- Champion excellent data management practices and standards.
- Be a problem solver, especially around defining data elements and establishing policies and procedures related to the collection, preservation, movement and accuracy of data.
- Have an intellectual interest in developments in data management, such as technology advances and indigenous data sovereignty.
- Be proactive in identifying future challenges or opportunities.
What we offer – you'll:
- Be a part of a family-friendly organisation that truly values their people.
- Belong to a great team that is doing exciting, meaningful and impactful mahi. Learn from colleagues who have diverse and unique expertise, and through formal professional development opportunities.
- Be supported by collaborative and skilled colleagues who are passionate about their work.
- Have opportunities to develop your knowledge of tīkanga Māori and reo Māori.
- Develop your career by implementing and developing an industry-leading Data Strategy.
- Have opportunities to engage with incredible audiovisual taonga.
For further information or a confidential conversation about this position please email Caitlin Lynch, Manager Collections - Poutaki Taonga, email@example.com.