[Recordings made to mark the 150th anniversary celebrations of Kaitaia]. 1984-02-22.
Loading the player...
Darryl Ware presents a collection of items recorded for the 150th anniversary celebrations of Kaitaia.
1. Māori history of the Kaitaia district from 1834, by Viv Gregory, a Kaitaia historian.
2. Les Elliston tells the story of the Awanui Spark Radio [Recorded when he was aged 86 years old, by telephone from Auckland. He is interviewed by Owen Rooney].
3. Arnold Ray tells the history of rugby in Kaitaia.
4. Laurie Beazley tells the history of the voluntary fire brigade.
5. John Foster talks about the local St. John's ambulance service.
6. Ross Michie, an amateur botanist, talks about the local bush [He lived for many years in a very colourful house on the main road into Kaitaia].
7. Te Rarawa iwi spokesman, Ephram Te Paa, with a congratulatory message on the occasion of Kaitaia's 150th anniversary [In te reo Maori].
Reference number 275085
Media type AUDIO
Collection Sound Collection
Ware, Darryl, Presenter
GREGORY, Viv, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Elliston, Les, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Ray, Arnold, Speaker/Kaikōrero
FOSTER, John, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Michie, Ross, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Te Paa, Ephram, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Date 22 Feb 1984