Loading the player...

Rights Information

Scenes of boat building. Young man cutting pipe on outdoor workbench with hand saw in back yard. Another young man bending pipes on bracket attached to tree stump. He then lays pipes on pad to check them; he drops pipe and sprints to the beach for a swim. Young man welding pipes into framework. Sections of [boat]framework being lent against fence. Young man welding in shed.

Close shots of man arc welding. Another man is attaching reinforcing to the welded sections. Man measuring wire netting with little girl looking on. Men attaching wire netting to bottom of framework, small girl watching them. Man digging sand from beach and loading it into a wheel barrow. Wide shot of boy at the top of a large mound of sand moving sand. Boy sifting sand through sieve. Man operating concrete mixer. Wide shot of men mixing concrete with partially completed boat under a tarpaulin in the background.

Shot of men working on boat, sitting on house verandah relaxing. Small girl walking up path in rain holding umbrella. View of boat under tarpaulin to one side of path. Close shot of little girl. Close shots of men working on boat covering hull with concrete. Small girl with umbrella walking and looking at concreting equipment. Views of work progressing on boat, including men working at night with light rigged up. Views of completed hull.

Cataloguer’s note: Morris Strickland was a world top 10 heavyweight for several years in the late 1930s. He was born in Wairoa in 1913, and won the Wellington amateur titles in 1930 and 1931, and the national heavyweight crown in 1932. He then turned pro and moved to Australia. After a year he returned to NZ and there won the professional heavyweight title. Then his manager Billy Crawford arranged for him to go to England, and he left with his new wife Eileen. After mixed results, he was bought by manager Bill Daly who organised his US campaign, and also fights at Wembley. Notable opponents in his career include Tommy Loughran and Bob Pastor.Strickland features as himself in the British boxing drama film ‘Excuse My Glove’ (1936). He returned to NZ ca1939 and had a handful more fights, the last in 1942. Strickland took an anti-war stance in the early 1940s, then bought a chicken farm in Hawke’s Bay to escape conscription. He took his family to Canada and returned to Auckland in 1950. He worked as a wharfie and was involved in the 1951 ‘lockout’. He later worked as a taxi driver. He lived in Devonport with his wife Eileen and four sons.

Favourite item:

Request information

Year 1966

Reference number F48878

Collection Film and Video Collection

Media type Moving Image

Genre Amateur

Duration 0:23:00

Credits Photography: Morrie [Maurice] Strickland

We use cookies to help us understand how you use our site, and make your experience better. To find out more read our privacy policy.

Whakamahia ai mātou ngā pihikete ki te rapu māramatanga ki te āhua o tō whakamahi i tēnei paetukutuku, ki te whakapai hoki i tō whai wāhi mai. Ki te rapu kōrero anō pānuitia te kaupapahere tūmataiti.