Loading the player...
Bird calls recorded in February 1954, October 1954, and October 1955. Recorded by Frank Barnett, Gordon Williams and Mr Jones on Kapiti Island and in the Eglinton Valley.
Each of the following birds is introduced by an unidentified announcer:
1. Female kiwi
2. Saddleback, Stewart Island
5. Wood pigeon flying past
6. Red-fronted parakeet
7. Pre-dawn chorus, Kapiti Island: bush robin, tui, kaka and bellbird
8. Long-tailed cuckoo
Each of the following birds is introduced by an unidentified man, who also gives the bird's Māori name.
9. Whitehead/Pōpokotea (or 'bush canary')
10. Little blue penguin
11. Bush robin
12. Red-billed gull
Another unidentified man introduces the following birds. They were recorded in Eglinton Valley, 1954. Each bird call is preceded by the exact location and the bird's Māori and Latin names.
16. South Island robin
17. South Island kaka
18. Pied oystercatcher, male and female
19. Pied oystercatcher, male only
20. Pied oystercatcher, female only
21. Paradise ducks
22. Paradise duck, male only
23. Paradise duck, female predominant
Reference number 155682
Media type AUDIO
Collection Sound Collection
Live sound recordings
New Zealand Broadcasting Service (estab. 1946, closed 1962), Broadcaster