SPORTING HIGHLIGHTS 1962
Loading the player...
Charles Martin presents a review of sports highlights of 1962.
1. New Zealand cricket tour of South Africa. Commentary of NZ winning the third test in Capetown. Field Marshall Montgomery joined the commentators in the box and makes some remarks about the New Zealanders, whom he says he fought with in North Africa.
2. Commentary of motor racing: Stirling Moss winning the 9th Grand Prix in poor conditions.
3. Athletics: at Cook's Garden, Wanganui, commentary of Peter Snell setting a new world mile record. Mention of Marise Chamberlain setting new records also.
4. Yachting: Actuality of Vice Admiral Sir John Collins [Australia's High Commissioner to New Zealand] speaking after Wellington won the Sanders Cup third time in a row. Australia challenges for the America's Cup.
Comment about Arthur Lydiard's 'jogging clubs' and new theories about isometric contractions, 'the easy way to get fit'.
5. Cricket: Richie Benaud speaks about the New Zealand team and its future prospects. He declines to comment about South Africa's role in world sport.
A national 'twist' record of 52 hours was set by two twisters in Dunedin.
The first roller-skating marathon was held.
6. Boxing: Jimmy Carruthers met Cassidy in Wellington - commentary of round eight's TKO by Cassidy.
7. Rugby: Australian manager Jack Maclean comments after test at Athletic Park, Wellington which ended in a draw. All Black captain Wilson Whineray comments after the match.
8. The death of Governor-General Lord Cobham: actuality of the keen sports supporter speaking humourously about golf
9. Boxing: the richest boxing bout in history took place. Champion Floyd Patterson versus Sonny Lister - actuality of referee Frank McCora instructing the boxers, followed by commentary of Lister knocking out Patterson after just two minutes and being delcared the new world heavyweight champion.
10. Golf: Peter Thompson comments humourously about Bob Charles' announcement of his forthcoming marriage after his win.
11. Racing: Melbourne Cup commentary of New Zealand horse 'Even Stevens' win. Commentary of the New Zealand Cup at Riccarton, won by 'Stipulate.'
12. The Empire and Commonwealth Games were held in Perth. Dot Coleman won first New Zealand medal in women's fencing. Commentary of the 880 and three-mile races: the first narrowly won by Peter Snell over Kerr of Jamaica. Commentary of Murray Halberg winning the three-mile. [some drop-outs and level fluctuations in this audio]
13. Veteran BBC sports commentator Rex Alston comments about an on-air incident when covering Oxford-Cambridge rugby match.
14. The absence of South Africa in Commonwealth sport is called 'one of the saddest notes of the sporting year'. Former athlete Sir Harold Abrahams comments about the situation, saying politics cannot be kept out of sport. He denies the new EEC will have any impact on Commonwealth sport.
15. Cook Strait is conquered for the first time. Coverage of Barry Devonport of the Worser Bay Surf Club arriving in Wellington, with boat engine noise and cheering in the background.
16. The closing ceremony of the Perth Commonwealth Games. Actuality of crowd singing.
Reference number 23806
Media type AUDIO
Collection Sound Collection
Abrahams, Harold Maurice, 1899-1978
Carruthers, Jimmy, 1929-1990
Charles, Bob, 1936-
Cobham, Charles John Lyttelton, Viscount, 1909-1977
Devenport, Barrie, 1935-2010
Montgomery of Alamein, Bernard Law Montgomery, Viscount, 1887-1976
Moss, Stirling, 1929-
Snell, Peter, 1938-
Thomson, Peter, 1929-
Whineray, Wilson, 1935-
Benaud, Richie, 1930-2015
British Broadcasting Corporation